I entered the office and the Lady in the Corner (I will think of a better nickname later) wished me with a bright smile ,"Happy World Health Day". I mumbled a thanks and wish you the same, and got another excuse to delay starting my work.
Thought, what does stuff like these mean to me?
Do I get a day off? No. Do I get gifts and wishes and ecards? No. (On the +ve side I dont have to send ecards and give gifts and no one can be upset with me for forgetting them).
Wonder why the corporate marketing wizkids are yet to make a big deal of this. Will I get free medical check ups, or premium reduced on health insurance on this day? (If any takes the idea from my blog, do mention atleast a thanks, I cant imagine anyone paying me for original ideas). When will there be concerts on World Health Day sponsered of course my cola makers, chip makers and mineral water made by cigarette & alcohol companies. Perhaps in few years.
Hmmm at the moment, its just about media putting up press releases from WHO which it doesnt read. (Check World Water Day gaffe by CNN Indiatimes etc here).
This year's Theme is "Make Every Mother and Child Count "
So what are WHO's press release highlights?
- About 530 000 women a year die in pregnancy or childbirth,
- More than Three million babies are stillborn,
- More than Four million newborns die within the first days or weeks of life,
- and altogether 10.6 million children a year die before their fifth birthday,
- Out of a total of 136 million births a year worldwide, less than two thirds of women in less developed countries and only one third in the least developed countries have their babies delivered by a skilled attendant.
- More than 18 million induced abortions each year are performed by people lacking the necessary skills or in an environment lacking the minimal medical standards, or both, and are therefore unsafe. As a consequence, 68000 women a year die.
- Almost 90% of all deaths among children under five years of age are attributable to just six conditions. And most of them preventable.
This happens not in the developed but in the developing mainly, therefore its preventable. And its still a Major problem in India. Check 5 minutes and Do U Know - neo natal deaths
But then, this is not even worth discussing, unless its children killed by terrorists in a school. So I wont bother to discuss it with my colleagues during lunchtime today or with friends after going home.
It doesnt touch my reality. So what if my apathy kills mothers and kids, so what if some would think of me as a passive terrorist, I will blame the politicians and move on... Yeah in the 5 minutes it took to write this post, an Indian woman just died..
Aaaaaaaaaaargh. I have been wasting my time. I better get the latest on Dada, Prince Charles Wedding and aah there is an interesting article on jobs according to zodiac, in Indiatimes. Better update myself on that.