It was a strange email. She stared at the sender's id, it was a new one.
"Do the following, on the next Friday, to bring prosperity and happiness to your family.
1. Cook what you love the most, even if your family dislikes the food.
2. Watch your favourite program on TV for atleast 30 minutes, even if the entire family, wants to watch something else.
3. Buy something you love, for yourself, even if you dont need it.
4. Insist that other family members cook your dinner for you and clean the kitchen after dinner.
5. Wear what you like the most, even if your family members dissaprove.
6. Get something for your parents.
7. Have contact with a friend, you had, before you got married. Meeting personally would be more beneficial, but if thats not possible, talk over phone or send an email.
8. Take care of your feet. Ask someone to massage it for you or get it done professionally.
9. Don't let anyone who abuses you, get away with it. Remember on that day, they are abusing the Goddess Lakshmi, who will be within you. And if you put up with even verbal abuse, they will have to face the wrath of Goddess Lakshmi.
10. Forward this email, within a week, to all the married women you know, from a new email id.
Do not discuss this email with your family or friends. It would take away all the benefits of this cosmic order given by Yogi Shri Jyoti Narayan, a devotee of Goddess Lakshmi. And your family would have to face the consequences of your indiscretion.
If you fail to follow the instructions, bad luck would fall on your husband within 5 days. But if you follow it, your family would experience prosperity, within 5 days. And Goddess Lakshmi would reside in your home, forever".
She stared glumly at the email. What would her mother in law think about her? What about her husband and children?
If she went ahead with it, her family would think she was selfish and would disapprove of her. Perhaps she should delete the email and forget about it, she thought. But hadn't her grandmother said it was important for girls to be unselfish. She decided to follow the instructions.
Later that night, after brooding over the email again, just as she was about to fall asleep, a small voice within her wondered, "Why did she feel guilty, over taking care of herself?"